Sunday, February 24, 2008

Is this the last gasp of winter for this season?


That was the question posed by Diane from Salina this morning. She also included some neat pictures of the snow in her backyard (above).

Diane, as much as you and I would like it to warm up (any day now!!) past history would suggest that Old Man Winter isn't through yet. It's not even March yet! Speaking of March, looking back at that month for the last 10 years here in Wichita, only in 2004 did we not record any snow at Mid-Continent Airport. We had trace amounts in 1997, 2001, 2003 and 2007. (Of course last year, we got 1.8" of snow in April with the hard freeze!!)

March 1998 was a month to remember! We ended the month with 13.6" of snow, most of which fell on the 19th. I remember that snow quite well (which included thunder that morning too!) . I was out live at one point as the heavy snow came down. Quote: "I feel like a drowned rat!!" The snow was coming down that heavy and my hair was soaked by the end of the live shot. (Sorry, no pictures of that!)

1 comment:

Bryce said...

Rodney...I'm so sick of winter. From the horrible ice storm that caught me in Manhattan to 8-12 inches of snow during a storm to sleet/hail and thundersleet, this winter has done me in. At least Sunday looks like a spring storm without arctic air! What fun that will be for once!