Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Have you seen this X-ray? - UPDATED 5/26





I got a call from my brother Wednesday afternoon and he was perplexed. He had gotten home from work and noticed something shiny in his backyard. (For the record, he lives about 6 miles north of my hometown of Harveyville, Kansas--southwest of Topeka.) What he found was a piece of x-ray film (above) which appears to be of a skull. It is labeled "Edmond Medical Ctr". I searched Google and found one Edmond Medical Center, in (no surprise) Edmond, Oklahoma. Could it be possible that tornado debris from Tuesday's tornadoes traveled all the way from central Oklahoma to northeast Kansas?

As you may have heard, debris from Sunday's tornado in Joplin, Missouri fell in neighboring Springfield. It's not uncommon for this to happen after noteworthy tornado events. My folks, who live in Harveyville, found bits of debris from the April 26, 1991 Andover tornado in a field behind their house.

Ironically, Harveyville is not too far north of Reading, which was hit by a tornado Saturday night. My brother says he worked in the yard both Sunday and Monday and there was no piece of x-ray film laying in his yard at that time.

So where did this x-ray come from? I took a close look at the tornado paths from Oklahoma yesterday (link) but Edmond was not affected. Was this from a Doctor's satellite office? Did someone have their personal medical records at their house? I don't know but I want to find out. I've contacted friends of mine who work at the Storm Prediction Center and the Norman National Weather Service. I'm also posting a link to this blog to Facebook, in hopes of answering this nagging question.

1 comment:

Dean Jones said...

Wow!